Combined with the mango salsa, this coconut shrimp dish makes for an easy, refreshing, bright, flavourful, delicious and clean meal.
Coconut Shrimp and Mango Salsa
Ingredients for the Mango Salad:
- 2 ripe mangos, cut up into small bite size chunks
- 1 ripe avocado, same size as mango
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 clove of garlic, diced finely
- 1/4 red onion, diced finely
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for the Coconut Shrimp:
- 1 pound fresh, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 tsp unrefined salt
- Coconut oil for frying
- Add all the salsa ingredients to a bowl, cover and place in the fridge while to make the shrimp.
- In a bowl add the egg and salt, whisk together and add the shrimp, making sure all the shrimp are well coated with the egg mixture.
- In a bowl or on a platter add the coconut flour and shredded coconut flakes.
- Remove one shrimp one at a time from the egg mixture and dredge in the coconut mixture, place on a clean plate.
- Continue until all the shrimp is coated with the coconut mixture and add it to the frying pan.
- Cook the shrimp for 2 minutes then flip and cook the other side for another 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp from the pan to wire rack.
- Enjoy this dish on its own or in lettuce cups as we did!