Ending the long weekend off with these turkey burgers!
Enjoy these turkey burgers wrapped in lettuce or in our Hamburger Buns (page 164), and topped with our Egg Free Cashew Mayonnaise (page 170), and homemade ketchup (page 179), which can all be found in our cookbook, Healthy Comforts. Top the burger with our version of the ‘special sauce’!
Turkey burger with Healthy Comforts 'Special Sauce'
Ingredients for the burger
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 red, green, yellow or orange pepper, diced
- 1 handful mushroom, diced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste (this will keep the burgers juicy)
Ingredients for the 'special sauce'
- 3/4 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 cup hot water (for soaking cashews)
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 dill pickles, diced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp unrefined salt
Directions for the burger
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Prepare patties (see notes below).
Directions for the Healthy Comforts 'special sauce'
- Place cashews in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add 1 cup of hot water to the bowl of cashews, making sure the cashews are completely covered.
- Leave cashews soaking for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining ingredients into a high-speed blender and set aside.
- Once the cashews have soaked, drain them and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Add the cashews to the rest of the ingredients and blend until mixture is thick and smooth.
- Transfer to a glass container and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour for the flavours to develop.