We’ve heard a lot of discussion about collagen lately. Collagen consists of amino acids made by simmering animal bones, skin, cartilage and is high in protein. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body.
It helps with digestion, heals the gut, strengthens our skin, hair, and nails. A poor diet and high stress levels all contribute to a decrease in collagen in our bodies as we age. We can absorb collagen from dietary sources such as leafy greens, citrus fruits, oysters, eggs, nuts and seeds, and meat proteins, just to name a few. Collagen is also available in powder form that we’ve added to our shakes and energy bites. Here, we’ve added collagen to one of our favourite shakes – the classic strawberry milkshake! Yum!
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tbsp collagen protein such as Great Lakes
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk (cashew, coconut or almond)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 drops stevia (or add your choice of sweetener to taste)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Blend all ingredients until smooth. Enjoy!