This roasted fennel and orange salad is such a beautiful and healthy side dish!
If you’re not familiar with fennel, it is known for its wonderful licorice flavor and has amazing health benefits, it has long been used in natural remedies for digestive health, is a good source of energy, vitamin C and dietary fiber. Paired with oranges makes it a classic combination and this delicious dressing brings it all together. It’s fantastic on its own or paired with hard boiled eggs and peppery arugula!
Roasted Fennel and Orange Salad
- 1 large fennel
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener, we used yacon syrup but honey would work beautifully as well
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp unrefined salt
- 1/2 orange zest
- 1 tsp orange juice
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set.
- Slice the fennel in half lengthwise, keeping the core in tact, slice each half into 1/2 inch slices. Reserve fronds for garnish.
- Cut the onion in the same manner as the fennel, keeping the core in tact.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, making sure each piece is well coated and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast until golden.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest while you mix the dressing.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Arrange the fennel and onion on a platter, peel the orange and cut out segments of the orange and arrange on the platter along with the fennel and onion.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and garnish with the reserved fennel fronds.