Both Melinda and I grew up in an Italian household so needless to say, biscotti were a mainstay on the cookie tray. A crunchy, traditional biscuit, perfect for any time of day.
For breakfast… especially nice dipped in a coffee, as a snack, or dessert.
They’re crunchy and sweet from the orange and cranberries.
The recipe is easy to make, you just need a little patience as these are twice baked!
These biscotti hold up well if you’re planning on gift giving or traveling.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 orange zest
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp unrefined salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot powder, coconut flour, baking soda and salt to medium size bowl, whisk together making sure there are no lumps. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the eggs and coconut sugar together using a hand mixer with the beater attachment.
- Add the orange juice, zest and vanilla extract and blend to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time.
- Blend until everything is well incorporated.
- Stir in the cranberries and almonds.
- Divide the batter between the 2 baking pans. (Using the 2 pans is important as the dough will spread.)
- Dampen your hands slightly to help you mould the batter into a rectangular shape.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Make sure the center is completely cooked - otherwise you’ll get a soggy biscotti.
- Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool for an hour.
- Transfer the biscotti dough from the baking pan onto a cutting board and slice the biscotti 1/2 inch wide. Place the sliced biscotti back on the baking sheet and bake @325 for 10 min. or so, flipping in between. Keep an eye on them as they will brown quickly.
- Remove from the oven, and transfer to a cooling rack.
- As they cool down the biscotti will crisp up. Store in the fridge or freezer.