We’ve been busy recipe testing and enjoying all the test batches! While many of you are enjoying our Fresh Baked Bread in Healthy Comforts Cookbook, we have had quite a few requests asking for a nut free version.
So, we got busy recipe testing, making sure that the end result was soft and chewy on the inside and crusty on the outside. We added unflavoured gelatin not only for the health benefits (to strengthen hair, skin, nails, and heal the gut), but this ingredient allowed us to reduce the amount of eggs this recipe would need while lending to the texture and elasticity!
Nut-Free Sandwich Bread
- 1 tbsp unflavoured gelatin
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp unrefined salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 5X8 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the cold water and sprinkle the gelatin over top. Allow the gelatin to sit for 5 minutes in order to bloom.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and add the hot water one tablespoon at a time, then increase the speed to medium high. Make sure all the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Add the 4 egg whites and beat until the eggs are frothy.
- Add the egg yolks, and oil.
- Reduce speed and add the arrowroot powder, coconut flour and salt. Slowly increase speed.
- In a small bowl add the baking soda and apple cider vinegar, it will start to froth which is exactly what you want (this acts as a leavening agent). Give it a stir and add it to the stand mixer.
- Mix, and make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 70 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Store in the refrigerator or slice the bread, and store in the freezer.
- This bread can also be made into a sun-dried tomato and olive loaf by adding half cup of each.