Eggplant dip… Italian style! Eggplant is a high-fibre, low calorie food that is rich in nutrients and loaded with many health benefits. From reducing the risk of heart disease, to helping with blood sugar balance and weight loss.
They are incredibly versatile and fit well into many dishes. Here is a simple and delicious way of adding it to your healthy diet.
Roasting the eggplant in its skin allows the flesh to steam, giving a silky smooth finish – making it a great dip to serve with vegetables, pita’s, or as we have done, with our flatbread (page 154, in Healthy Comforts).
- 2 large eggplants washed and dried
- 1/2 tsp dried or fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 large garlic cloves, peeled (or 2 small)
- 1/4 cup cold pressed olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the eggplants on the pan and poke holes in the eggplant using a fork. Place the eggplant in then oven and cook for 50-60 minutes.
- The eggplant will collapse onto it self. - remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Once cool enough to handle, remove the flesh and place into a food processor with the remaining ingredients. Process until silky smooth.