‘Tis the season – nothing says “Happy Holidays” like a big glass of cold creamy eggnog!
This eggnog recipe has the perfect combination of dairy-free milks, holiday spices, and sweetener that come together to be just as rich, delicious and satisfying as its original counterpart without the refined sugars and junk!
*For a vegan option you could replace the egg yolks with 1 or 2 avocados. Place all the ingredients in a high speed blender, transfer to a pitcher and refrigerate.
**For a coffee creamer – omit the egg yolks/avocado. Heat the remaining ingredients over med heat until it reaches a slow boil. Remove from stove top and allow to cool. Transfer to a mason jar and refrigerate
Dairy Free Egg Nog
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (1/2 cup if you like it on the sweeter side)
- 2 cups almond or cashew milk
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon or 2 whole sticks
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp rum, brandy or bourbon-optional
- Place egg yolks in a medium size bowl, whisk together and slowly add the maple syrup.
- In a medium saucepan add the cashew milk, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Heat mixture over medium heat until milk mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Slowly add 1/4 of the milk mixture to the eggs, whisking continuously so as not to scramble the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the sauce pan.
- Heat the eggnog over medium heat and simmer for 4 minutes. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Remove from the stove and strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
- Stir in dairy-free milk and vanilla.
- Transfer to a large mason jar and refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve with Rum, and a sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon.