Nothing beats our crispy buttermilk paleo fried chicken! Comfort food at its best – Here’s a healthy take on fried chicken that’s every bit as mouthwatering, delicious, and crispy as we remember it to be.
Have you ever wondered what the secret is to getting moist and tender chicken is? While there are different methods – we like to soak our chicken in dairy-free buttermilk. Simply add lemon juice to nut milk and you have dairy-free buttermilk.
The acidity of the lemon helps to tenderize and breakdown the collagen before cooking begins. It’s best to soak overnight if possible.
Crispy "Buttermilk Paleo Fried Chicken
Ingredients for chicken
- 4 chicken breast
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- unrefined salt and black pepper
Ingredients for dredging
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3 tbsps avocado, ghee or olive oil
- Clean the chicken, using a mallet or pan pound the chicken between two pieces of parchment paper. This will ensure an even bake.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the lemon juice to the nut milk, give it a whisk and pour over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight if possible. The longer it sits the better.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and set aside.
- Place a cast iron pan or any other pan (that is oven safe, as the chicken will finish in the oven) on the stove over med-high heat Add 3 tbsp of avocado or olive oil.
- Whisk all the dredging ingredients together.
- Take one piece of chicken at a time from the buttermilk (nut milk) and dredge the chicken.
- Once the chicken is all dredged, place in the pan. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side then transfer to a 400F oven to finish cooking.