I know what you might be thinking… that we’ve gone too far with this cauliflower – rice substitution, but hear me out before you crinkle your nose up in disgust. I did the same thing when I first considered it, and because of that I put off testing it. Boy, I am sorry I did!!
My immediate thought was that the distinct cauliflower taste would come through but between all the flavouring I’m happy to report there is NO cauliflower taste detected! A few years ago I had my first taste of rice pudding (made with rice), while on vacation and boy was it good! Shortly after that, I changed my diet and although I thought about that rice pudding, I really never thought to try a paleo version – until recently! It’s creamy and satisfying without all the heavy cream and processed sugars.
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut cream
- 1 cup cashew or almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups riced cauliflower *
- 1/2 cup raisins
- To a small pot on medium low heat add the coconut cream, cashew or almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl separate the egg yolks from the whites (reserve egg whites for another dish).
- Beat the egg yolks with a fork. When the milk mixture is heated through, pour a small amount into the yolks slowly to temper. Pour the yolk mixture back into the pot with the remaking milk and add the cauliflower rice.
- Cook until the cauliflower is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the stove top and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the raisins and combine well.
- Transfer to a glass container or individual jars and refrigerate overnight.
- Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and fresh berries.
- * To rice the cauliflower you can either use a box grater, a food processor or you can purchase prepackaged cauliflower rice, which is available at most grocery stores in the freezer section.
- ** For the coconut cream – place a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight. The cream will solidify to the top of the can. (Only use the thick cream for this recipe).