This cashew/coconut yogurt is unbelievably delicious, and incredibly easy to make.
If you have a nut allergy/intolerance, we have a delicious two-ingredient coconut yogurt in our healthy comforts cookbook. I created this one for for my youngest daughter who really doesn’t like the taste of coconut. This was definitely a winner and passed the taste test! Adding the coconut cream gives this yogurt a thick and silky smooth finish. It has a neutral taste… you taste neither the coconut nor the cashew.
The end result will be nice and tangy so you can use it in place of sour cream (just add lemon and a pinch of salt), or as a yogurt (mix in berries, honey (optional), and top with our squeaky clean granola on page #32 in Healthy Comforts!
Cashew Coconut Yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews, covered in hot water. Leave to soak for 4 hours.
- 1/2 cup thick coconut cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 capsules probiotics (50 billion each) or 1 tsp of probiotic powder.
- Drain and rinse cashews until water runs clear.
- Add cashews, water and coconut cream to high speed blender.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Open probiotic capsules and add to the cashew/coconut mixture.
- Blend just to incorporate the probiotics, you don’t want the probiotics to heat up at all.
- Transfer to a large, or two small mason jars.
- Cover the mouth of the mason jar(s) with cheese cloth, coffee filter or a thin tea towel and secure with a rubber band or the screw-on part of the lid. Nothing should be covering the cheesecloth/coffee filter/tea towel.
- Place the mason jar(s), in a dark place, I tuck them in my cupboard. Leave them for 24 hours to ferment.
- After the 24 hours, taste test your yogurt with a wooden spoon.
- If it’s tangy enough, remove the cheesecloth, place the lid on the jars and refrigerate to chill and to thicken even more. If you like it tangier, you can leave it for a few more hours in the cupboard.